Through all of the changes that we go through, I have tried to keep believing that life will work out the way it is supposed to be, and things will fall into place. At times it is challenging to stick with that notion, but once they actually do fall into place it's an amazing feeling.
I had an interview Wednesday at a middle school in Clayton, Missouri. Clayton is the area of St. Louis located just west of Forest Park near the Washington University campus.The neighborhood around the school is filled with amazing houses, and I drove around in astonishment before the interview. The school district consists of 3 elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. Very different from Cherry Creek!
The night before the interview I read the job description again and found out the position includes teaching not only computer literacy courses, but also something called "Integrated Arts". When I looked for more information about the course, I was a little dismayed to see that is was Drama. What was I doing applying for this job? As I drove to the interview, I had pretty much talked myself out of any hope of getting the job. But, it would at least get me in the door to meet some of the people in the district, which is always a good thing. Walking into the interview, it just felt right to me. I met with the interview team, and had a great discussion. I learned more about the "Integrated Arts" course, which is actually team taught by 4 teachers, and is an in depth look at putting together a stage production. They would like to figure out ways to incorporate technology more into the productions, which would be the role of this position.
I left the interview feeling pretty good, and had changed my mind about whether I was qualified for it. In all honestly, the drama part of the position sounded like an interesting challenge. Something new! I talked with Brian about it Wednesday night, and really felt like it was something I would like to have the opportunity to do.
Thursday morning I had planned to take Andrew to story time at the library, and as we were leaving I got a text from a friend at Davidson who was in the main office there when someone had called to get a reference for me. Interesting....so I started really thinking about things. Sure enough, around noon I got a phone call from a St. Louis area code. However at the time Andrew and I were going into the grocery store and I had my hands full so I didn't answer. When I got home I checked the message that was left and sure enough, it was the assistant principal that I had interviewed with the day before. I was going to get Andrew down for his nap before I returned the call but then my phone rang again. They were calling again, and in a flustering phone call with Andrew shouting in the background for me to turn on "Backyard-agains", I accepted the position.
I cannot tell you how much of a relief it is to have this next piece of my life laid in place. I know a bit more of what my future is going to be looking like, and it feels good. It feels right.
No comments:
Post a Comment